Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

WiFi Connectivity (AW-1520H)

Started by nmeder2, October 04, 2022, 12:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmeder2

I just received a new AW-1520H WiFi PID. I have two question about wifi with this unit.

Q1- WiFi setup instructions are vague and difficult to understand. I've managed to connect the unit to two different wifi networks and both times took a long time and lots of trial and error before successfully connecting. Maybe it's just me. Anyone else have trouble trying to follow the instructions?

Q2- The unit has trouble making and maintaining it's wifi connection. It often cycles between "reconnecting" (yellow) and "connected" (green). This occurs on both the wifi network and the wifi extender for the network (which is physically close to the unit). I'm testing it right now and was unable to display the plot. It took four tries over about a minute to get the plot. The first three tries resulted in a "refreshing" message and a blank plot. Is this normal operation? I sure hope not. What experience have other users had. Please share your AW-1520H wifi experiences here.

Kkane

1) If you follow the guide, the WIFI setup should be not difficult. The key step is, for Android app, you need to wait the screen showing the "no internet" pop-up (from Android OS, not from AuberWIFI app) then choose "stay connected". If you missed that pop-up, the setup will fail. This step is only for Android users, not for iOS users.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=66

2). The app should not be switching from connected/reconnecting all the time. You can try to use cellular internet and see if the issue remains. When you first enter the app, it will show reconnecting/connecting status. It is normal. It is because that the app was frozen when you are not using the app or when your phone is under sleep mode. So the app connection is suspended. It is due to Android OS battery management. If you like to use a third party app to keep AuberWIFI app alive all the time, this "feature" should be gone but your battery will consume faster.

Update: If you want to resolve this "reconnecting" feature, you can try to change your battery settings for AuberWIFI app in your Android OS settings directly (if your Android version is not very old). Most likely, you don't need to use a third party app now. Go to settings, search AuberWIFI app, then change the battery settings for AuberWIFI accordingly. Change this settings will cause your phone's battery consume faster.

When you are using the app normally (not in sleep mode), your app should not be switching between connected/reconnecting all the time. The bottom line is, the reconnecting process typically only takes a few seconds. If you encounter frequently reconnecting issue, please try to use cellular internet and see if the issue remains.

The push notification function relies on the Android OS, not the app. So even AuberWIFI app is frozen, your Android can still receive the alarm for your controller (your android must turn off "do not disturb"). 

You may also need to check your network topology between your wifi extender and your main router. If your wifi extender has a routing function, the devices under your extender and your main router are under two different subnets, and they cannot see each other. If you pair your controller to your wifi extender and if you connect your phone to your main router when you use your app, the app may not see your controller (since they are under two different subnets). You can try to connect both your controller and your phone to the same router/wifi extender and see how it works. You can probably double check the settings of your wifi extender.

zwiller

Having similar issues but improving.  Controller runs flawlessly and I can tell that it is really the brains and the app just displays the data.  Just to confirm the app should ALWAYS remain connected and green?  Not happening for me (android).  Mine seems to lose connection after phone goes to sleep/screen saver.  Once I click on the app it reconnects and it does take some time to connect but it does eventually.  Updated log requires a refresh, usually a few times, and takes longer to update but does eventually.  Wondering if my ISP router being off brand could be the culprit or possible the wifi settings?  I have and old Netgear router I plan to experiment with.   

Kkane

Hi @zwiller, I just updated my previous post. Hopefully it will make it more clear to you.

zwiller

QuoteHi @zwiller, I just updated my previous post. Hopefully it will make it more clear to you.
It does.  THANKS.  Excellent point on the 3rd party app.  Not familiar with those, any suggestions? I will play around with my battery/sleep settings first.  Mine goes to sleep in 30s but will try longer.  I think the data file being sent might be larger and needs more time to load properly or something like that.  Is the data update dependent on the log settings? IE I have it set to 2m for 10hrs.  So I guess the log updates every 2m? 

Kkane

I'm not an active Android user. I just googled this feature and it seems Android OS nowadays can set battery preference for individual app directly. You don't need to use a third party app for this feature.

For Android 13, you can go to the settings, search AuberWIFI on the top, go to Battery, then change "manage battery usage". Set the option to "Unrestricted". Default option is "optimized". There should be similar settings for legacy Android versions.

I used the App "Greenify" and "Ice Box" many years ago for my retired Android phone to manage which background apps to be killed or not killed.

zwiller

QuoteI'm not an active Android user. I just googled this feature and it seems Android OS nowadays can set battery preference for individual app directly. You don't need to use a third party app for this feature.

For Android 13, you can go to the settings, search AuberWIFI on the top, go to Battery, then change "manage battery usage". Set the option to "Unrestricted". Default option is "optimized". There should be similar settings for legacy Android versions.

I used the App "Greenify" and "Ice Box" many years ago for my retired Android phone to manage which background apps to be killed or not killed.
THANKS AGAIN!  Just did changed it to unrestricted.  At work now but will test and report back.  Am I correct the connectivity should be solid and stay green now? (and also drain my battery LOL)

Kkane

I tried it for about 10 mins and it worked good (stay connected). You can try it and see how it works.

zwiller

QuoteI tried it for about 10 mins and it worked good (stay connected). You can try it and see how it works.
AWESOME.  Will try and update the thread.  If I have issues from here I will bet it's the router and/or router settings. 

zwiller

Test 2 days ago was a complete fail.  Took me awhile to figure it out but was ISP issue.  Pulled some hair out as the 5G band was fine but 2.4 not...  On that note, I imagine most of the issues people are going to have with this is really no fault of Auber, but probably ISP, wifi, router, or phone.   

Last night's test with unit inside was a SUCCESS!  Connected fast and stayed green 99%.  I monitored for 4-5 hours off an on and there was 1 or 2 times it was yellow but went green in a flash but otherwise stayed connected and green.  Refreshing log was fast and worked as expected.  I did not notice much battery burn if at all.  I would HIGHLY recommend the battery settings @kkane posted.  Will be doing additional testing with it outside connected to smoker this weekend.   

Kkane

Thanks for your follow-up. I don't know if you have a habit to reboot your router/modem periodically, like once per month or so. Sometimes if your router/modem is continuously ON for a few weeks or months, it may have some strange issues. Reboot can typically fix them. You can probably try next time.

zwiller

Weekend update.  Ran the unit outside in it's typical location for a long time and it connected fine and ran as expected (green 99% of the time and yellow a few times but reconnected fast).  Nice surprise was that one time I inadvertently closed all my apps including the Auber app and to my chagrin the data log reappeared in full after I reconnected!  It took awhile as I think the update cycles based on the log settings but came back.  Expected it to be gone and to restart.  Also cool was checking the connectivity as I had traveled a few miles away a few hours.  At this point I consider the matter resolved and my phone battery settings a big part of reason why but do think my ISP router settings were off a little as well.

While I have the attention, if there is place for suggestions of future enhancements, would be nice if an option for the data log to to display AM/PM times instead military/24hr.  Renaming saved recipes/programs instead of the fixed b1, b2, etc would be nice.  Last one is not so much of suggestion but something to be aware of.  Guys on the smoking forum I hang have decided that auto tune just flat out does not work for us.  Very odd results.  IE HUGE 2 digit "P" figures.  Not tried it myself as I happy with the settings they suggested.  I have more suggestions but these are my tops.  Happy to be beta tester if you need any. 

Kkane

Thanks. I will forward your suggestions to Auber team.

glurpglorp

I purchased an AW-1520H a few days ago and had difficulty setting up the WiFi, but I eventually managed to get it connected and successfully smoked some bacon. Fast forward to this morning's pork butt, and I remembered that I'd gotten a new iPhone, so I downloaded the WiFi app and followed the instructions for adding a second phone, but without success. In short, I cannot reset the WiFi settings and get the blue WiFi LED to blink quickly. (Not sure why the above posts mention green and yellow?)

This is what I've been trying:

QuoteFor AW-1520H/AW-1510H, hold both the SET key and Timer key (2nd key from the left) for 2 seconds.

Is there a trick to it? I always end up with a steady blue LED (connected to WiFi) or a slowly blinking blue LED, or no blue LED at all, but never a fast blink. It seems that the key combination mentioned in the instructions doesn't work. I've tried holding them down longer, but no joy.

Luckily, I have not yet wiped my old iPhone clean, so I am able to control today's smoke, but I plan to trade my old phone in ASAP. How can I successfully reset the WiFi settings? It's obvious that my attempts have all failed, as the controller can still connect to the WiFi that I set up a few days ago, despite dozens of attempts to reset the WiFi settings.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kkane

I took a short video showing how to reset the WIFI on AW-1520H. Please find the link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YqhlvtuJuF0UShJVlRiIa5TQZLXLxfd7/view?usp=share_link

Again, hold down both the SET key and Timer key (2nd key from the left) for 2 seconds then release. The WIFI indicator will be changed from solid ON/slow blinking to fast blinking.