Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

Help new to PID

Started by lgsailing, February 06, 2022, 08:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lgsailing

I'm new to PID. We run a maple farm and we have a 220 vacuum pump that we want to run based on temperature. Last year we had simple bayite temp controller were we ran it through the cooling function of on at 34F and off at 32F, with a small 12v DC pump. This year because of the 220, I bought a syl-2352 with an SSR. I have it wired and the pid turns on. I'm lost with programing it. I thought maybe setting the low temp as 34 and high temp as 32 it would work but I'm just not sure.

Kkane

You can still use SYL-2352 as ON/OFF controller. For cooling, you need to set parameter COOL as 11.

For temperature control, you need to set Hy = 1, AT = 0. Then change your set temperature to 33. So when your temp is over 34 (33+1), your pump will be ON. When your temp is below 32 (33-1), your pump will be off.

If your system is kind of fast response, you may also need to increase your output cycle time. Parameter T. By default, it is set to 2s. You may need to set it as 10-20s.

lgsailing

Thank you so much for the help. I was really lost with this and you just made it so much easier for me.

Is there anything I need to do to make sure everything is in F degrees? Just curious. I'm going to play with this tomorrow as I left it at the shack tonight.

What do you mean by fast acting? Do you mean delay the on by 10-20 seconds to make sure the temp is going in the up or down direction?

Kkane

For C of F settings, see section 4.14 on page 6 of its manual:

https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/SYL-2352_manual.pdf

By default, it is heating mode with Fahrenheit display.

SSR typically can be turned on every 2s. So the default cycle time for SYL-2352 is 2s. If you are using this controller to drive a mechanical relay or pump via a SSR, 2s cycling on/off could be too fast and the relay/pump might be worn out very fast. In that case, it is recommended to use a large number for the cycle time, like 20s at minimum.

lgsailing

So I input all the parameters and it turns on 14 degrees above the set temp and then won't turn off when it goes below the set temp.

I'm kind of lost now because it should be working unless I don't have the pid wired right. I have the SSR in 7&8 and then the wires coming in hooked to 9 &10. And the temp control on 4&5.

Quote from: Kkane on February 07, 2022, 11:59:13 AM
You can still use SYL-2352 as ON/OFF controller. For cooling, you need to set parameter COOL as 11.

For temperature control, you need to set Hy = 1, AT = 0. Then change your set temperature to 33. So when your temp is over 34 (33+1), your pump will be ON. When your temp is below 32 (33-1), your pump will be off.

If your system is kind of fast response, you may also need to increase your output cycle time. Parameter T. By default, it is set to 2s. You may need to set it as 10-20s.

Kkane

Please double check your output cycle time parameter t. It decides the maximum system delay. If you set it as 10, it means when your temperature is over your SV + Hy, it will be at most 10s delay before your pump is running.

If you need fast response, you can set it to be a small number. But please be advised, it may not be good to cycling your pump frequency. It will shorten its life time.

If you still have issues, it could be easier to give a call to Auber tech support.

lgsailing

So I had it running last year after this post. The box we had it in ended up getting water in it. I ordered a new pid this year and pulled out the old one and slammed the new one in. I put in the parameters and now it's not switching on. So I thought maybe it's the ssr. So I got a new one put that in and I'm not sure what is going on. I have 240 v at the buss bar and then to the one side of the relay. The other side of the relay reads 55 volts. So the ssr is not switching. I thought the ssr was either off or on. Can that be possible to have some current pass through?

Kkane

It is not recommended to test the SSR by a multimeter. It is recommended to test it with a real load, like table lamp. See link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B14y9IPNqGuoRExXVXNNYlpuNDA/view?usp=drive_link&resourcekey=0-y5MWan2NepafdU6T0fb0qQ

If you have a digital thermometer, you can also try it anyway. You can remove all the wires to the SSR AC outputs, then measure its resistance. When SSR is OFF, you should get around M Ohms level. When SSR is ON, you should get K Ohms level. If you always get infinite resistance, your SSR is open/bad.