Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

PC-02 kit

Started by plain ol Bill, April 13, 2017, 02:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain ol Bill

I may have been the first (or close to it) purchasers of this control kit for powder coat ovens. I have a 4x4x6 ft. oven that I built and have been using propane to fire it with. It uses an Auberin PID to control it and has worked well for a number of years. It has started to develop a few problems (slow heat up) and I decided to install electric instead of purchasing a new heater. I was looking at the TC Coatings controller and found the Auberins PC-02 while looking for options and purchased it instead. Basically the same price but with a lot more bells and whistles. TC is plug and play the Auberins is a kit that offers more features. Now for some comments:
Nice looking control box, quality parts with colored lights, lit up switches, buzzers etc, and the adventure begins. The first obstacle is not all the punching of holes is done on the cabinet. Not a problem if you have a fairly well equipped shop like I do. If you don't you will be spending $$ for hole saw or punches and that can be spendy. A Dremel tool with cut off wheels is handy to cut out the square power on/off switch. I really think Auberins should provide the cabinet fully punched - not a big deal if their supplier knows what they want and it would be much cheaper than you having to tool up to do it. I hate metrics! Having to convert metrics to inches and fractions like on tape measures is a pain - but then I am old and set in my ways too. The punch list is complete (in metrics) and now includes a punch lay out for the DIN rail after I had to ask them where it mounted in the cabinet and their customer service promptly added a page to show where the rail mounts. The wiring schematic is well done, very complete and even a novice can figure it out. One thing that was missing in my kit was the engraved nameplates for all the lights, switches etc. Auberins sent a set of them to me the same day I realized they were missing (great customer service). The punch list and wiring schematic are available AFTER purchase.
When you go to purchase #6 wire to power supply the control box be sure to measure the outside diameter of the wire you buy to make sure it will fit through the supplied fitting that goes into the bottom of the control box. I failed to do this and spent $$ on wiring that was too large in diameter to fit - after much mumbling, using bad language and 2 trips to town I made a short pigtail using wire that would go through the adapter. At this point I am wired up in the cabinet and waiting for some 240V plugs to make up the #6 extension cord wiring that will go to my 50A welder plugin.  Once I get power to the cabinet I will power it up and hopefully keep the magic smoke from escaping the cabinet. At that point I will update.

plain ol Bill

Update time - gave up wiring and will start over after a trip to town and buying some multi-color wiring. I was using some left over wire from another project that was all one color. Just too confusing without using multi-colors (at least to me anyway). I have seen folks that can make wiring look like a work of art. I can do that too -- but mine looks like ultra modern type art (read mixed up spaghetti). Have I mentioned I HATE the metric system?

plain ol Bill

Another update. Got it finished -- and surprise, surprise the magic smoke stayed in the box when I turned it on! Cool project folks and yes I would do it again (if I had too). Just take your time and make sure all the wires go in the right spots. Various colored wires like shown on the diagram help. I couldn't find pink but subbed brown for it and put a note in the box about the change. Still have not reset the SV of the PID or set the timer but expect no problems with that - just need to find more time. Now to get my heat elements in the oven and wired up to the controller.

PMA

I started building a controller before finding this kit. Would like to get my hands on a kit manual for the wiring diagram. I have auberin parts, all individually purchased but no manual. Any way you have a digital copy of this manual. Would really help me out. Thanks