Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

More Smoke

Started by MrKelley, June 01, 2023, 03:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKelley

I have a 1948 Frigidaire converted to a smoker. I'm using a single 1500w element and a WS-1211H controller. I'm using a 6" iron skillet, directly over but not touching the element, for my chip tray. Typically running it at 225-275 depending on the meat. My chips get black but don't burn and make much of smoke. Before I bought the controller I ran a second hot plate for smoke and the 1500w element for temp it was a PITA but it worked.
If I ran in "heat" mode and increase the deadband say 5*-7* would that get my chips burning better.

Kkane

The purpose of using a PID controller is to maintain a stable cabinet temperature. Whether it creates a lot of smoke depends on your ambient temperature, the smoker insulation and the cabinet temperature. Based on my cooking experience with a properly tuned controller, during the initial heating up process, it could generate some smoke. But when the temperature becomes stable, it will produce less smoke.

In other words, if you want more smoke, you need to make the temperature control "worse" which will cause some temperature fluctuation. Some customers came up with an idea, which is making some overshoot on the cabinet temperature and thus it can create more smoke. For example, overshoot can happen if you increase the P value and decrease the I value; then the integration band will be decreased and once the temperature drops below the set point it will overshoot. The more heat created can burn the wood and generate more smoke; however, one will have to sacrifice the stability of the cabinet temperature.

You can also try to increase the output cycle time to 30s or even 60s, to worse the temp control.

MrKelley

I increased P from 7 to 14 and decreased I from 600 to 450. Smoked like crazy on initial heat up but hardly anything after that. It is burning the chips now however. I think I'll make a small adjustment and try again, something like P=16 & I=400. The cabinet temp stayed at 225-227 on a 225 setting. Meat (a tri tip and some pork ribs) came out decent.

Kkane

Thanks for your feedbacks.

MrKelley

I've played around with my settings and ended up with

P = 8
I = 350
t = 60s
Temp goes from 223 - 228

Smoke is consistant for the whole run. I'm even able to burn chunks instead of chips. I put in a cookie sheet over my chip pan so drippins don't start a flare up.

MrKelley

I forgot temp setting

Kkane

Thanks for efforts and information.