Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

SYL-2352P for Kiln Help

Started by ACB, May 16, 2023, 11:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACB

hello I recently purchased a kiln with an SYL-2352P controller.

I have the program as follows:
-CO1 = 90 / T01 = 120 (ramp from ambient to 200 degrees in 2 hrs)
-C02 = 200 / T02 = 300 (hold at 200 degrees for 3 hrs)
-C03 = 200 / T03 = 1600 (ramp from 200 to 1828 degrees in 16 hrs)
-C04 = 1828 / T04 = -121 (once reaching 1828, stop program)

The kiln seems to not be reaching my set value temperatures, and there is a discrepancy in the read out. (I know the kiln can get above 200 degrees because the first time I loaded it incorrectly too close to the thermocouple, it was extremely hot, and the alarm went off. But the PV read -258...)

Yesterday the SV was set to 90, and instead of staying at 90 I watched it climb to 147 after 2 hours. The PV stayed pretty steady around 70 for the two hours.

I ran a different program today:

-CO1 = 200 / T01 = 120 (I thought maybe I needed to change C01 to ramp from ambient to 200 degrees in 2 hrs)
-C02 = 200 / T02 = 300 (hold at 200 degrees for 3 hrs)
-C03 = 200 / T03 = 1600 (ramp from 200 to 1828 degrees in 16 hrs)
-C04 = 1828 / T04 = -121 (once reaching 1828, stop program)

After 4 hours, the PV was 125, and SV 200. After 6 hours, the PV was 75 and the SV was 200.

All of my settings were default, except:
-A-M was set to 4, I updated it to 2
-bAud I cannot change from 4800
-I hope I am working in Fahrenheit degrees, not Celsius? Unsure how to check this

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Not quite sure what is going on, any help would be appreciated!!

Kkane

1. Here are some mistakes for your timers in your program #1

Your step 2 timer T02 is 300, so it will hold at 200 degree for 5 hrs (300 mins).

Similarly, your step 3 timer T03 is 1600, so it will ramp up from 200 to 1828 in 1600 mins or 26.7 hrs.

2. Negative PV is abnormal. When the real temp increases, will the PV increase or decrease? If decrease, your thermocouple polarifty is reversed.

3. Your program #2 has the same timer mistakes.

-CO1 = 200 / T01 = 120 //If you set start temp 01 as 200F, that also works. So it will not control the initial heat up rate.
-C02 = 200 / T02 = 300 // 300 mins, not 3 hrs.
-C03 = 200 / T03 = 1600  // 1600 mins, not 16 hrs.
-C04 = 1828 / T04 = -121

4. A-M parameter. Default is 2. For its definition, see section 5.3.15 on page 6 of its manual.

BAUD parameter is not used in this controller.

Check COOL. Default, it is set to 10 for Fahrenheit.

https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/SYL-2352P%20Manual.pdf

You may need to verify if the PV reading on the controller is correct or not.

ACB

appreciate the response!!
1- thank you for clarification on my programs, I will update
2- yes, when the real temp increases, the PV decreases. I bought this used, so assuming they installed incorrectly?
4- updated to default

THANK YOU!

Kkane

You may need to figure out your reading issue at first. The control system will not work if the reading is incorrect.

You may need to trace from the sensor tip to the back of the controller module. If the sensor is directly hooked up to the controller with one cable, yes, you can just reverse both wires to the back of the controller. Then check if your reading looks better.

If there is one extension wire connecting your thermocouple wire to the controller, please check and see if that extension wire is copper wire or not. Thermocouple wire is made by two different metals and you have to use the same type thermocouple wire for the extension. You cannot use copper wire for the extension, otherwise it will introduce some reading error.

The following article will give you some ideas:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=11

ACB

Hello - I've fixed a few things with this set up. The wires were installed by the previous owner incorrectly, so those have been reversed.

When we tried to install a type K thermocouple rated for kilns (no copper wire), the controller did not work with that set up. The PV showed a temp of more than 2000F (when the kiln was off) and was not reading correctly at all.

So, we tried keeping the thermocouple that was installed originally, and the PV temperature read correctly. (note, the PV temperature ready correctly, but the SV followed the PV the entire time. So, if the program was set to go from 200 to 1828 over a course of 16 hours, the SV was climbing alongside the PV.)

In the end, it resulted in an overfiring. The thermocouple does not look like it is suitable for very high temperatures. I'm consistently firing to 2000+ degrees. Now, I'm unsure if I should replace the thermocouple again as it did not work to use a type K the first time.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Kkane

Ok. Let's divide your issue into two parts.

1) whether your controller is good or bad.

When your heater is off, disconnect your thermocouple then short thermocouple terminals on the back of your controller. Then power up the controller. If you get an ambient reading, your controller is good. Otherwise your control settings are bad or your controller is bad.

To read type K thermocouple, Sn needs to be 0.

2) whether your thermocouple is good or bad.

Maybe your old thermocouple is not type k, so your Sn is not set to 0?

By the standard, type k thermocouples are rated as 2300F max. But in the real world, whether your type K thermocouple can reach such high temp depends on many facts, such as packing material. The easiest way is to check this rating with your seller directly. If your seller claimed this thermocouple as 2300F or so, it should work. As a reference, Auber offer several different type K thermocouples. Some are rated as 900F and some are rated as 2000F.

Jhb99

I also have a kiln setup for pottery i understand how to set timmers for ramp but my question is about parameters. Are there parameters that i should change from factory default that would make my syl 2342 perform better for the application?

Kkane

QuoteI also have a kiln setup for pottery i understand how to set timmers for ramp but my question is about parameters. Are there parameters that i should change from factory default that would make my syl 2342 perform better for the application?

Well, you can try the default settings at first and see how it works. If you have control issues like overshoot/undershoot, you can consider running auto-tune at your most important temperature in your profile.