Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

Silvia pump power fluctuation during Auber PID Duty cycle.

Started by ericeh, January 09, 2022, 05:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericeh

I have had my Auber PID installed in my Silvia for over a couple years with zero problems.

Recently a new issue has come up and I am really hoping someone can help.

What is happening is this:

While the machine is brewing a shot, the power on the pump fluctuates between 2 output levels - (high and low).  This is identified from the sound of the pump changing between the two states.

What I have noticed is that the pump output power changing is directly related to the PID turning the boiler on and off to regulate temperature. 

What I mean is:
when the PID turns the boiler on for a second (and the light comes on) the power of the pump drops during brewing.
When the PID finishes its power-on duty cycle and the boiler power turns off (boiler light goes off) for a second the pump power returns to normal output levels.

Here is the last thing that is strange.  If I brew a shot with the PID, and as its brewing its 30sec shot, I can override the boiler (turn on) but turning on the steam switch, and the pump works fine.

So far I have done the following.

I took the case off the machine and checked all the connections.
I tested the impedance of the boiler element with an multi-meter
I thought it might be the pump motor but I changed it proactively less than a year ago.

This really has me baffled and hope someone can help.   FWIW This started after I descaled and back flushed the machine but I feel that is a coincidence.

Wondering if this may be the SSR?

I can share a video but file upload size is too small on this forum. 

Kkane

I just forwarded your case to Auber support. They will contact you back soon.

wcdesign

I hear a pump "pitch" change when the SSR comes on as well. I suspect the high current draw from the heating element is resulting in a small voltage drop that affects the pump pitch. I installed a pressure gauge on my Rancilio and I don't see an appreciable pressure drop when this occurs.