Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

Starting a new build. Looking for electronics advice.

Started by LndShrk, November 08, 2021, 01:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LndShrk

Hi,  I am getting ready to start a new build and would love some advice on the electronics side of things.
I will be converting an old refrigerator into a smoker cabinet.  This will be used for cured sausage making only so low temps below 180.

My goals are.

• 1.Be able to control the 1500 Watt 120 volt element
  • 2.Set cabinet temp profiles like I currently do with my PID on my bradley. (Stored profiles for quick selection a bonus)
  • 3.Turn on/off bradley smoke generator based on where the above mentioned profile is in its cycle
  • 4.Monitor cabinet humidity (maybe add humidity control still on the fence for this)
  • 5.Monitor internal temp of meat being cured
  • 6.WiFi enabled and controls would be awesome as well

I currently have an older model single probe Bradley smoker. It works great and have used it for many years. But since I am doing this build I thought I need to Jazz up the capabilities a bit. :) 
Any thoughts would be awesome.

Thanks,
Steve

Kkane

Please check AW-WST1510H-W.

1.Be able to control the 1500 Watt 120 volt element
Yes. It can control up to 1800W/120V.

2.Set cabinet temp profiles like I currently do with my PID on my bradley. (Stored profiles for quick selection a bonus)
Yes and yes.

3.Turn on/off bradley smoke generator based on where the above mentioned profile is in its cycle
You can set to turn on smoke generator output for specific step(s).

4.Monitor cabinet humidity (maybe add humidity control still on the fence for this)
No. Typically humidity sensor on the market cannot handle the high temperature in electric smoker. But if you can find one, please leave a comment and let me know.

5.Monitor internal temp of meat being cured
Yes.

6.WiFi enabled and controls would be awesome as well
Yes.

LndShrk

Thank you very much. 

When you say high temps for the humidity how hot is too hot? 
This smoker won't be going above 180 deg.

Also after reading the manual on the AW-WST1510H-W I am contemplating a 3rd probe. 2 cabinet probes and 1 small meat probe.
If I understand correctly I can use the 2 cabinet probes and set the differential to take the average of the 2?  is that accurate? 
My thought is a lower and upper probe in the cabinet and I will also have the larger fan set up in there to help try and keep heat constant throughout. 

Thanks again. 

Quote from: Kkane on November 08, 2021, 05:00:35 PM
Please check AW-WST1510H-W.

1.Be able to control the 1500 Watt 120 volt element
Yes. It can control up to 1800W/120V.

2.Set cabinet temp profiles like I currently do with my PID on my bradley. (Stored profiles for quick selection a bonus)
Yes and yes.

3.Turn on/off bradley smoke generator based on where the above mentioned profile is in its cycle
You can set to turn on smoke generator output for specific step(s).

4.Monitor cabinet humidity (maybe add humidity control still on the fence for this)
No. Typically humidity sensor on the market cannot handle the high temperature in electric smoker. But if you can find one, please leave a comment and let me know.

5.Monitor internal temp of meat being cured
Yes.

6.WiFi enabled and controls would be awesome as well
Yes.

Kkane

The humidity sensor for TH330A is rated as 176F. This sensor is not designed for smoker purposes. I don't know if the oil or organic vapor in the smoker will damage or shorten the life time of the humidity sensor. If you like, you can try it and see how it works. For WIFI humidity controller, you can check AW-TH330A-W.

"If I understand correctly I can use the 2 cabinet probes and set the differential to take the average of the 2?  is that accurate? "

This 1510H controller will control the smoker temperature based on your probe 1 temperature (cabinet temperature). If you use two cabinet probes at the same time, the 2nd probe will work as a meat probe (probe 2), or as reference temperature (probe 3). 

You can consider the circulation fan kits offered by Auber.

LndShrk

Thank you very much @Kkane.   I will need custom fans so will call.  I believe my walls are about 3" thick. 

LndShrk

Build progress has been a little slower than I hoped.  However I am back at it.

Posting progress on a thread from smoking meats. 

Build progress