Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

Scorching?

Started by belerephone, December 08, 2019, 05:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belerephone

I use an Auber Cube with the DSPR320 for BIAB. Very happy with performance but noticed recently after a brew session I had a spot of "charred" material on my heating element. Today I was brewing and noticed what seemed like a burnt smell coming from my brew pot. After removing the wort I could see the whole of my heating element had charred matter on it.

When I first used the cube boiling would commence and settle in with a  displayed temp of around 212. The last couple of batches have not started boiling until the displayed temp is 214 or even 215.

Any ideas what is going on - perhaps I need a new coil?

Any feedback appreciated.

Kkane

Sorry to hear that. What is the power rating of your heating element? Also, what is the size of your kettle? Do you have enough circulation in your kettle (like using water pump)?

Typically, low wattage density heating element is recommended for brewing. And if your heating element is too powerful compared to the size of your kettle, it may cause this issue as well.

If you can find a good way to clean the heating element, you need to replace it.

belerephone

That helpful I'm using a 5500 W element - I believe it is low density. My kettle is 10 gallons. I have not been circulating during the boil.

I have noticed after I achieve boil using a P100 setting I can dial the power down to a P65 setting and still maintain a good boil. I cheked my program and with this particular batch I left the power at P75 for some reason - perhaps the cause of the scorching.

Thanks much for the feedback.

Kkane

Your heating element could be a little bit too power for your kettle (550 Watt/Gallon). Typically, recommended ratio is 200-400 Watt/Gallon for brewing. You may consider getting a weaker heating element, or larger kettle.

Also you need to find a way to circulate the water/wort.