Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

DSPR320 relay control using CFC or plate chiller during BIAB

Started by craigmw, November 13, 2019, 11:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigmw

In the manual for the DSPR320, there is a section at the end that provides an example of programming the DSPR320 for controlling a BIAB session. The example is very useful, but I'm not quite sure how one would be able to use this example for chilling with either a plate or counter-flow chiller. Indeed, even those using immersion chillers often want to have the circulation pump running a whirlpool to increase the efficiency of chilling. I'm confused about how one would control the circulation pump simultaneously with the cooler circuit opened. Let's say that the recirc pump was on the AL1 relay and the cooling pump (or solenoid valve to a garden hose) was controlled by the AL2 relay. If we set the AL1 relay to come on most steps during the mash and then off for the boil, we could make a single 9 step mash program that turned on both the recirc pump and the chiller after the boil. But, if we had a more complex mash schedule and wanted to use CONT as the last mash step to open the boil program, I do not understand how one would control both the recirc pump (AL1) and the cooling line (AL2). As described, the AL2 relay would be set to turn on during any cooling operations, but I cannot see how one would activate the recirc pump (AL1) to effectively cool the wort. Since we'd likely always want the recirc pump to be on when the cooling line is on, is there a way to have AL2 activate AL1 in the boiling program? Also, since we'd want the recirc pump to come on 10 minutes (or so) before the end of the boil to sanitize the chiller, is there a way to accomplish this? The only thought I had was to use a SPDT relay activated by AL2 that would energize both the recirc pump and the cooling line whenever AL2 was active. This would not impact the function of the cooling line when only AL1 was active.

craigmw

To add to this, as I understand it from the manual, the RELY settings are global (they don't follow whether the current program is mash or boil), correct?

Sharron

Quote from: craigmw on November 13, 2019, 11:34:14 AM
To add to this, as I understand it from the manual, the RELY settings are global (they don't follow whether the current program is mash or boil), correct?

The relay settings can be global or local. There is a parameter called "rRG" (relay working range), which can be set to "MASH" program, "BOIL" program, or "ALL".

Sharron

Thanks for the question. There will be some situations that are not programmable by the current relay parameters and settings. You probably have to turn on or off the pump manually at certain steps.

There is no good way to turn on the circulation pump 10 min prior to the end of boil. You could split the boil step to two steps, and use the buzzing sound between steps as a reminder.

To active the circulation pump whenever the cooling pump is on, you can use AL2 to drive a DPST relay on AL2, one pole supplies power to cooling pump, and the other pole can supply power to the circulation pump. Use AL1 to drive a SPST relay to supply power to the circulation pump. Hope that helps.

craigmw

Sharron:

Thanks for the help. That information is indeed useful. I plan to use a DPST relay to have AL2 activate my pump on AL1 whenever cooling is called for. This will certainly help. It would be nice to have a way to control the relays as program steps (or as an option to each step). This would make incorporating relay automation much more intuitive. Nevertheless, I think EZ Boil is definitely a great controller for BIAB. Incidentally, do you ever develop firmware updates, and if so, is there a way for the enduser to apply such updates?

Sharron

You are welcome. I agreed, it would be great if the relays can be fully programmable as part of a mash or boil program. Will see if we can improve on this part in the next version. If you have more suggestions or particular requests, please feel free to email us.

To flash new firmware to the controller, the controller has to be mailed back to us.

craigmw

I ended up using three SPDT relays (because I had them) rated at 120V coil/30A switched side. I wired them up with one switched by relay 1 and a second by relay 2 and a third switched also by relay 2. On the switched side, the first and third relay feed Aux 1 and the second feed Aux 2. In this manner, whenever relay 2 on the DSPR320 comes on, both Aux 1 and Aux 2 are energized. When relay 1 on the DSPR is activated, only Aux 1 is energized. In this manner, relay 2 will activate both the solenoid controlling the chilling water to the plate chiller and also the recirc. pump. When relay 1 comes on, only the recirc. pump is activated. I tested this out and so far, it seems to be working. So, I have relay 2 on the DSPR set to COOL so that it will activate whenever cooling is called for. I have relay 1 set to ALL so that it can be used in both the mash and boil programs and make certain to have steps in the mash and boil set carefully so that the pump is activated appropriately. Having separate mash and boil program relay control would definitely be helpful, as would a way to have relay 1 follow relay 2 logic for a cooling loop. Perhaps these could be added to a future firmware update.

Thanks so much for your help. The EZ Boil looks like a very well designed controller. I can't wait to try it out on a brew day!

craigmw

Incidentally, do you ever plan to release an RS485 version of the EZ Boil? It would be nice to be able to access it from an Arduino or Raspberry Pi to allow for remote control operation and logging of temps.

LeeC

Here is a diagram I am working on.
The one problem I am having is the use of a contactor rather than a relay (another post).