Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

EGT readings all over the place

Started by mmontero, July 31, 2019, 02:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmontero

Hi - I've my my EGT/Boost dual meter installed for several months now and it just started to play tricks on me on the EGT readings. EGT's show as moving up/down erratically (jumps +/-20 degrees) and the alarm has activated a couple of times (set to 530 Celsius) but right away it comes down on the 400's again. Could this be a wire issue or does it sound more like a probe issue? The installation guideline says that when the probe is dead; the display would show "EEEE" but mine keeps reading and giving #'s. I pulled it out of the dash and everything looks like day 1 on the back but did notice that while the engine is running and me moving the meter with my hand; reading got worse. Any clues? Thanks in advance.

Miguel.

Kkane

You can use a copper wire/paper clip to jump thermocouple terminals on the back of your gauge. If your gauge displays stable ambient temperature, your gauge is good. Then either the probe is bad or probe cable is bad. You need to replace your EGT probe then. Otherwise your gauge is bad.

mmontero

Quote from: Kkane on July 31, 2019, 10:00:03 AM
You can use a copper wire/paper clip to jump thermocouple terminals on the back of your gauge. If your gauge displays stable ambient temperature, your gauge is good. Then either the probe is bad or probe cable is bad. You need to replace your EGT probe then. Otherwise your gauge is bad.

How possible is it that my Auber Dual is bad that fast? It hasn't been a year since I purchased it and it would be a shame to have mine to be defective in just a few months. It's been kept away from humidity at all times and juts exposed to regular dashboard heat and vibrations. Thanks again!

Kkane

It is unlikely that your gauge is bad. But it is still possible. Based on your description, most likely your EGT probe is bad.

It is hard to test your EGT probe directly. If you like, you can use a multimeter to read the resistance on your EGT probe (you need to disconnect it from your gauge at first). If your get infinite or jumping around resistance, your EGT probe is bad.

You can test your gauge as I mentioned above. It can tell whether your gauge is good or bad.

mmontero

Quote from: Kkane on August 01, 2019, 10:07:19 AM
It is unlikely that your gauge is bad. But it is still possible. Based on your description, most likely your EGT probe is bad.

It is hard to test your EGT probe directly. If you like, you can use a multimeter to read the resistance on your EGT probe (you need to disconnect it from your gauge at first). If your get infinite or jumping around resistance, your EGT probe is bad.

You can test your gauge as I mentioned above. It can tell whether your gauge is good or bad.

I'll try that and come back to you. You rock by the way!