Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

Smokin Tex and WSD-1500H-W Controler

Started by Keith Rivera, March 28, 2019, 08:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Rivera

Curious if anyone in Auber Forum land has adapted their SmokinTex with the WSD-1500H-W controller. 

I have a 1400 model.  It has served me well for over 15 years.  I know the internal heat controller is the weak point of SmokinTex.  I have always wanted to upgrade it to something nicer and more accurate.  I've just been waiting for mine to fail....been waiting 15 years now.

I follow the adage of "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it".    I would enjoy hearing some comments about it, if anyone has upgraded theirs.

Thanks,
Keith

Kkane

If your SmokinTex 1400 model has 700W or 800W element, you can use this smoker with WSD-1500H-W. This controller can supply up to 1800W/120V heating element.

If your smoker has an analog heat level dial, you can simply turn it to the maximum heat level, then connect the power cord from this smoker to the back of the controller. Then the controller will regulate the temperature inside of this smoker.

If your smoker has a digital control panel, you need to make a modification and connect the heating element directly to the output of the controller.

Keith Rivera

Thanks KKane.

Quick question.  I have the OEM analog dial controller (element wattage unknown).  If I turn the factory dial all the way up and use the Auber controller, am I limited to the factory 250 degree top end?  I was wanting to upgrade the element and controller so I could get higher temps than factory.  My chicken wings need crispy skins, and I dislike needing to finish them in the oven.... ;D

What's the best way to achieve getting higher temps?

Keith

Kkane

If your analog dial has a limit of 250 degree, you need to bypass it if you want to cook over 250 degree. The easiest way is to connect the heating element directly to the output of Auber's controller.

Here is a guide for masterbuilt smoker, and you can refer it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B14y9IPNqGuoanpVM2VXa3hGTzQ

This modification may void its warranty.

Keith Rivera

Thanks again Kkane!  I looked at the Masterbuilt link you posted.  Seems straight forward.

Aircraft800

Keith,

Did you ever get it installed to your Smokin Tex? I have the same smoker, interested in this controller.

Keith Rivera

@Aircraft800.  No - I haven't had time to do my homework enough to take the leap.  Plus, if it 'aint broke, don't fix it. 

I'll get to it some day, though.

Aircraft800

Quote from: Keith Rivera on September 15, 2020, 08:31:35 AM
@Aircraft800.  No - I haven't had time to do my homework enough to take the leap.  Plus, if it 'aint broke, don't fix it. 

I'll get to it some day, though.

Ok, No Problem. I have my WSD-1500H-W Controller ordered. I plan on connecting it directly to the heating element, I'll take some pictures when I open it up.

Aircraft800

Oh, I've got my WSD-1500H-W installed with my SmokinTex 1400. I bypasses the built in thermostat and run the element directly with the WSD-1500H-W. Now to figure out how to calibrate the probes, I've got a 29deg variance between all 3 probes.

EDIT: Amber customer service got back to me, directed me to the calibration how to videos. I checked my probes in ice water, and in boiling water, all within 1 deg of each other! I had no idea within a few inches of each other that there could be such a difference in my smoker!

Now to try my first brisket! Need to find some examples of controller settings.