Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

information on which manual for PID

Started by Rwillden@aol.com, March 16, 2019, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rwillden@aol.com

My electric beer brewing project was put on hold, I got two SWA 2451 PID's in June of 2018 (use these in the past, 2015, and had no trouble with them and used to them). My problem is that I cant find the manual for these. I found the one you have on your website that is on the page for the SWA 2451 which is Version 1.0 (Jan 2019) but I have on older one Version 1.15 (September 2017).
   The question is do I need to jumper wire from pins 7 to pin 8 for the ones I bought in 2018? This isn't shown in the manual for 2017 although it looks like that is what I did on an older controller so I assume I will need the jumper. The manual showes the Alarm output as 3 Amps at 240 Volts, is this what is providing the 3 amps? Also it shows the Nutral going to one side of the buzzer and the other side going to pins 1 and 2 for the 120V buzzer so does this mean that the buzzer should only need 3 amps to work?
  The newer controller for the 240 volt 30 amp 5500 watt heating elements looks like I have line 1 going directly to a contactor and line 2 going though the SSR so when the PID pins 9 and 10 are activated it sends line 2 to a contactor which will be activated when I push down a push button to close the coil. Each heating element has this design. Does this seem ok? Does it seem I could have gotten by without the contactors?
   I have used your PID SWA2451 in the past on a 120V 20 amp controller for a BIAB system and have been happy with it. But now I want to go bigger so this is the reason I am planning to upgrade to a larger and better controller for my 3 pot system. The controller is almost done wiring so I  hope it seems ok but I did have these questions.

Thank you for your help now and in the past.
   Russell Willden
   Rwillden@aol.com

Kkane

The latest manual for SWA-2451 is v1.16 (Jan 2019). See link below:

https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/SWA-24x1%20v1.pdf

You can download all manuals from the manual page on Auber. Here is the direct link:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=34

Kkane

Auber didn't change the hardware/software for SWA-2451 in the past several years. SWA-2451 has been upgraded to SWA-2451A with additional 2nd alarm output feature. For manuals, it is recommended to use the latest one that you download on auberins.com

QuoteThe question is do I need to jumper wire from pins 7 to pin 8 for the ones I bought in 2018? This isn't shown in the manual for 2017 although it looks like that is what I did on an older controller so I assume I will need the jumper.

The manual is a combined manual for SWA-2451 and SWA-2441. Terminal 8 is disabled in SWA-2451. Terminal 8 is used in SWA-2441 only. Do not put a jumper wire between pin 7 and 8.

For SSR wiring and SWA-2451 wiring, you can refer to figure 8 and figure 9 on page 8 of its manual.

You can find 2017 version manual here (v1.15): http://bit.ly/2TezzX9  Please let me know which figure did you see the jumper between 7 & 8.

QuoteThe manual showes the Alarm output as 3 Amps at 240 Volts, is this what is providing the 3 amps? Also it shows the Nutral going to one side of the buzzer and the other side going to pins 1 and 2 for the 120V buzzer so does this mean that the buzzer should only need 3 amps to work?

Typically, buzzer requires small amperage to power (less than 1A). But you can also use a high power buzzer rated 3A with this controller.

The alarm output (pin 1 & 2) are dry switch, which doesn't provide any power by itself. To drive a 120V buzzer, you need to jump a wire from controller's power input to the alarm relay output, then from the alarm relay output to your buzzer. For details, please refer to its manual.

Kkane

QuoteThe newer controller for the 240 volt 30 amp 5500 watt heating elements looks like I have line 1 going directly to a contactor and line 2 going though the SSR so when the PID pins 9 and 10 are activated it sends line 2 to a contactor which will be activated when I push down a push button to close the coil. Each heating element has this design. Does this seem ok? Does it seem I could have gotten by without the contactors?

The controller's SSR output will be connected to the SSR input. The SSR output will be connected to your heating element.

The contactor is used to cut the power wire from the SSR output to the heating element. So you can use a switch to control the coil to that contactor. You don't have to use a contactor between the SSR output to the heater. But you need to find a way to physical disconnect the power to your heating element (for safety concern).

Rwillden@aol.com

Thank you for your reply, looks like I may have added more than I needed. I have from a spa panel to a Main switch on the outside of the controll box and breakers inside to protect each line with push buttons conrolling the contactors to turn on the individual heating elements.  But with the first dry Bench test it seems to work find. The heating elements and PID's are separated by a 3 way (HLT/off/boil) switch so I can only use one at a time (30 amp panel, 240v, 5500 watt elements
    The Manual I found with the jumper from pin 7 to pin 8 is for the SWA-2451 Version 1.0 (jan, 2019) which I got from https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=814 then clicking  on where it says " click here to download the instruction manual" above the Main Specification. I did a dry test on this panel today (heating elements not attached) and hope jumping 120 V to pin 8 didn't mess things up with my PID and the Alarm part (didn't test alarm status yet so hopefully with no load on the buzzer it didn't blow it out or do something to the inside of the PID.
I hope this helps you out.
   Thank you again for your fast response.
  Russell Willden

Kkane

QuoteThe Manual I found with the jumper from pin 7 to pin 8 is for the SWA-2451 Version 1.0 (jan, 2019) which I got from https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=814 then clicking  on where it says " click here to download the instruction manual" above the Main Specification.

No, please do not refer to that manual. That manual is for SWA-2451A model, not for SWA-2451. SWA-2451 and SWA-2451A models are different.

Please refer to the manual of SWA-2451.

Rwillden@aol.com

got it, thank you. I looked at what I wired and forgot that I left the jumper out when I tested it because I was unsure of what would happen. I will leave it out, It tested ok with just seeing that the PID comes on when I move the switch to each PID and push the push button to activate the contactor for the heating element (without element attached). the PID reads the temperature, and I was able to plug a lamp into where the pumps will be to see it work. I believe everything is working fine now.
  You have been a great help, Auber is a great company with great support.
   Thank you
    Russell Willden