Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

KIT-CUBE2-240 Wiring Diagram

Started by Quikmerc, March 02, 2019, 09:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quikmerc

Hi,

I just ordered the KIT-CUBE2-240 and decided to look over the wiring diagram while I wait for the mailman. My knowledge of electrical is somewhat limited (tinkering with arduino projects) but a few things in the diagram don't make sense to me.
1) the relay only appears to control one of the power lines to the heating element, the other power line just goes straight in from the breaker, wouldn't that mean that the other power line is always live?
2) the return from the heating element goes to the ground, not the neutral. Wouldn't that trip the gfci breaker since the return bypasses the neutral line?

I am guessing that there is something fundamental that I am missing here, but would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction for what I should study up on to get a better understanding of how this works.

Thanks,
—Dan

Quikmerc

After some more googling, I think i might have answered my own question ... but i am going to post it here for feedback to confirm if i am on the right track.

So what i have found is that 240v circuits do not use a neutral for return, but rather, both of the hot lines complete the circuit. This solves both of my quandaries since the full 240v circuit is opened or closed by the relay on one of the wires and additionally, the return going back over the live wires means that it is not using the ground, so the GFCI breaker will still work. The cube2 only uses the neutral wire for the 120v connections to the pump outlets.

Anyone please chime in to clarify.

Thanks,
--Dan

Kkane

1) Yes, only one hot wire is controlled/cut by SSR. The other hot wire is connected to the heating element all the time. So when SSR is off, your heating element will not be powered. But for safety concern, please disconnect the power wire to the heating element physically when you don't use this control panel.

2) Three wires are used for heating element. Two hot wires and ground. No neatural is needed. Two hot wires will complete the circuit. Ground is only for earth leak protection (if you connect it to your GFCI breaker).

Yes, neutral is only used for 120V load, which requires one hot and one neutral.