Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

DSPR320 -- Will it hold temperatures if it requires heating AND cooling?

Started by kcramp, January 25, 2019, 07:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcramp

I have a ~200L electric brewery setup that I use to make beer (HERMS setup). At the moment, I have a cheapo REX C100 to control mashing temperature.

I have moved into the distilling realm, and want to start doing larger ferments in my mash tun -- I would have a continuous recirculation through the herms coil, and the HLT pump would pump through a CFC (cooling water controlled by a valve that opens city water) and recirculate the HLT water to maintain temp.

I have been trying to understand the DSPR320 instructions, and it looks like it CAN both cool and heat, but it appears that it only works in a series of steps.

My question is: can I have the DSPR320 essentially act as a fermentation controller? Relay 1 would be HLT heating element, Relay 2 would be the valve to open the city water to the CFC.
I believe that it will only activate Relay 1 to maintain temperature after all steps are over.. Can someone help me clarify?

Kkane

DSPR320 is not designed for that purpose, but you can try. It should work as your requirement.

You can use relay 1 to drive heating element (on/off control only), and relay 2 to open valve as cooling device (on/off control only). You can either set the step as defined time (if you know your total processing time), or you can pause the step timer and let the time held. You can set the relay 1 turn on temperature (as high temperature alarm), and relay 2 turn on temperature (as low temperature alarm). You also need two external mechanical relays, because the controller's relay outputs are only rated as 3A (resistive load).

But for this purpose, why no just use fermentation controller like TD120 or TD500?