Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

Weber Ranch Kettle

Started by MrSalty, July 08, 2017, 12:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSalty

Hello,

I'm trying to get my Auber controller to work with my Weber Ranch Kettle.  I've tried a couple times with no success.  I have three vents on the bottom of the kettle and one in the lid.  I can close and tape two of the bottom vents, attach the blower to one of the three holes in the third vent and tape off the other two holes in that vent.  I don't know how to best arrange the charcoal- I usually bank some coals on two sides and cook in the middle.  I'd appreciate all suggestions.  My goal is to achieve and maintain low temps, from 140 - 225 F.

Thanks,

MrSalty

Sharron

Thanks for posting your question here. Which BBQ controller do you have and what size of the fan are you using? Could you also give a little bit more details on the issues you had with that kit?

Maintaining a temperature as low as 140°F is difficult, especially in summer. The pit temperature may stay well above your set temperature for a long time. As a result, the fan won't be running at all, which eventually could suffocate the fire in the grill. Maintaining a temperature at 225°F is okay. When load the coals, please consider how the air flows inside the Weber Ranch Kettle. We suggest you arranged the coals closer to the blower so the air flow can reach them.

MrSalty

Hi Sharron, thank you for the response.  I have the 1615 controller with a 10 CFM fan.  I chose this set up after several emails and a phone call with Auber.  If I could maintain 225 I'd be really happy.  I'd only use 140 for salmon.  

The issue is I have three vents with four 0.8" holes each on the bottom and one on top.  I can close two of the three on the bottom and mount the blower to one hole in the third vent, and tape over the other three holes, run the thermocouple etc.  I light the coals, set the temp, almost close the vent on top as directed, the blower runs, and the fire goes out.  I open the vent on top, the blower still runs, and the fire still goes out.  

With the bottom rounded, I would have to put the coals in the center to get them in the air stream, and that defeats the purpose of indirect cooking.  Are you familiar with the Ranch Kettle?  It's wider and flatter than most Weber BBQ's and maybe that's the issue.  It looks more like a flying saucer than a beach ball.  

I'm open to any suggestions that don't involve cutting or drilling the kettle.  Thank you for your help.

Sharron

MrSalty, thanks for the information.

QuoteI light the coals, set the temp, almost close the vent on top as directed, the blower runs, and the fire goes out. I open the vent on top, the blower still runs, and the fire still goes out.

Where did you clip the sensor? Normally the sensor should be clipped on the food grate, no directly above the coal and not so close to the wall of the smoker.
How was the probe reading changing when the blower run? Did you see the temperature dropping as the blower started running? Was the target temperature 225°F or 140°F when that happened.
And, after how long did you notice the fire had gone out?

We don't have experience with Weber Ranch Kettle. But normally if the pit temperature drops when blower is running, it is either because the the coals were not in the airflow of the blower, or because there isn't enough coal to raise the temperature. There is an internal damper on the blower, it may deflect and reduce the airflow especially when the blower is mounted nearly vertically in this case.