Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

Problems with PT100 NPT

Started by Iain_U1250, March 07, 2016, 05:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iain_U1250

I have a persistent problem with my Auber temperature gauge giving incorrect temperature readings.   I have three Auber SLY 1813 gauges, one for EGT, one for engine water temp and one for the radiator temp.    The EGT probe is a TC-KEGT, the engine water temp probe is a PT100A-NPT and the radiator temp sensor is a RTD-Auto.  

The gauges are fitted in my Unimog expedition truck.  When I switch on the truck in the morning when it is cold (without starting) all three gauges should read the same temperature within a degree or two.  The EGT and Radiator temp sensor always read the same, the engine water sensor however sometimes reads the same, sometimes  10-15 Deg C lower.  Using a laser temp sensor, I have confirmed that the engine temperature as read by the EGT and radiator temp is correct, and that the PT100A sensor is giving a varying reading.   I know I can offset this error, but I should not have to, given the sensor is supposed to be very accurate.   I use this sensor to control the electric fans on the radiator, so it is very important to have this working properly.  I can't tell whether the offset goes away at higher temperatures or not, and if I put an offset in to correct it when cold, I don't know if the error offset changes if I switch the truck off when hot, and I could be under-reading the engine temperature which will be very bad.   Recently I fitted a mechanical thermoswitch for the fans to ensure I don't overheat the engine, but would prefer the Auber gauge to be accurate.  I have checked the wiring, and it all seems OK,

I have swapped out the SLY 1813 gauge with some spare ones, and there is no difference, the offset is sometimes there, sometimes not.  

This is the second PT100A sensor I have bought, the first would work for a while, then come up with an EEEE error occasionally so I bought a new sensor.  Should I try a third PT100A sensor, or is there a more reliable sensor I can buy?

Sharron

Thanks for posting your question here.

The PT100A-NPT sensor has three wires, two red and one white. With this configuration, the gauge can measure the line resistance between two red wires (A), and measure the resistance between the white and red wires (B), subtract A from B then convert the resulted resistance value (B - A) to temperature. If there is something cause the gauge read a high line resistance (A), maybe due to loose connections, a bad crimp, or etc, then you will get a temperature reading lower than the real temperature value.

For this probe, you can check the cable connection. If you wiggle the wires or cable a little bit, does the reading change? Is the cable being pulled with some tension? You can also verify the temperature reading in ice/water mixture (stir 70% ice in 30% water) and in boiling water as well.

Please also contact customer service here. We can help you check if you still have any warranty on this probe.

jocklandjohn

Thats odd Iain - I've had precisely the same problem. (in a Land Rover 100 exped camper)

I've the SYL2813 dual gauge with EGT on one channel and the water temp (out of engine into radiator) on the other reading via the PT100-NPT. I also have an analog gauge on the water temp out of radiator into engine with a thermostatic switch for the electric fan.

The Auber water gauge is ok most of the time. Then goes all over the place from 88 deg to 100 then to 150 and back down to 30 Deg. Often it will go offline completely with the EEEE message. Wiring has been checked and rechecked and all connections are ok. Curiously the thermo switch has never cut in to switch the fan on which suggests the probe readings are not accurate. I still have the original Land Rover dash gauge as well and it sits comfortably in the middle all the time so I've got enough confirmation of correct engine temp.

These were bought June 2015 and I'm wondering whether there is a bad batch perhaps? Or is it just that these are temperamental and VERY sensitive to wiring movement or engine vibration?

Will need to do some testing before buying a new on I think.

Whats the duration of the warranty period Sharron??

Sharron

Hi jocklandjohn, sorry for the delay in reply you. From what you have described here, I guess it is the cable in the transition area (the section covered by the strain relief) that is about to break. Because of the vibration during driving, both the metal braiding outside the cable and the stainless steel housing for the sensor tip can wear out the insulation of the wires over time. You can remove the spring relief and check if any sign of wearing can be see in that area. The sensor carries 90 days warranty. Please contact tech support here.

jocklandjohn

Hi Sharron - I missed your reply, and at the end of 2016 I've bought (from you) a replacement PT100NPT sensor and installed it. It worked perfectly for the last six months until two days ago.

When working correctly, on start up and driving  I could watch the analog gauge which measures coolant temp out-of-radiator-into-engine and it would climb to the 88 deg mark and then the thermostat would open and the analog gauge would immediately drop and the Auber gauge measuring temp out-of-engine-into-radiator would climb as the hot coolant passed through, and within a few miles the two gauges correctly showed temps with both maintaining a 80 - 90 degree constant consistent with the engine requirements. Under load the Auber would read an increased temp out-of-engine up to approx 90 deg reflecting increased thermal load.  It was steady and accurate.

However two days ago the routine changed the Auber went right up to 100 deg then climbed to 115, then 120. I stopped and checked everything and it all seemed ok - the analog gauge showing a steady 70 - 80 deg as the radiator/thermostat combination did their jobs (both recently renewed quality items) and an older existing engine temp gauge fitted as standard equipment on my Land Rover showed a steady mid-gauge normal reading. I continued to drive and the Auber went up to 140 then 150 and hit 155 degrees before going down to 40 and climbing back to its correct state and hovered in the 70-80 degree region.

I've already been over the wiring and it all seems ok, and renewed the earth wire. However the EGT probe I have on the other channel of the Auber is bang on all the time and seems not to be problematic.

I'm a bit perplexed by the behaviour - if there was a wiring problem I'd expect immediate errors within a short period of installation, but for it to happen after several months has me puzzled.

Any suggestions?

Sharron

Hi Jocklandjohn, thanks for your update. Unfortunately, I think it's probably the same issue: intermittent bad connection in the transition area. Could you take some pictures of how is the sensor installed and how is the cable routed? Please contact customer service here regarding this issue.

jocklandjohn

[attachment=1:1vov019g]WJsum1797488.jpg[/attachment:1vov019g]

[attachment=0:1vov019g]WJsum1797487.jpg[/attachment:1vov019g]

Hi Sharron - thanks for the reply. Here's an image of the installation. Two pictures showing the exit from the coolant pioe and routed across engine bay to vehicle bulkhead where it enters the cab.

Sharron

Hi jocklandjohn, thanks for uploading the pictures. The probe installation looks fine. If you could send the probe back to us for analyzing, that would be great. Could you contact us through customer service? Thank you.