Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

Curing Chamber Configuration

Started by jpendegraft, March 06, 2016, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpendegraft

Hello-This post is probably in the wrong category, but I thought I'd give this a try.

I am building a meat curing chamber and have 3 Auber PIDs (Temp - SYL-2362A; Humidity - SYL-2342H and Timer - ASL-51)

I am controlling the following:
TEMP:  1 heat source; 1 cooling source.  All powered off of 120V
HUMIDITY:  1 humidifier; 1 Dehumidifier.  All powered off of 120V
TIMER:  1 fan.  Powered off of 120V

I am having a fairly difficult time following the wiring schematics and some calibration.  After some trial and error, I have successfully gotten the Timer to function as desired and I have the other 2 units "powered up" with sensors on them.

I want the TEMP CONTROLLER SYL-2362A to do the following:
--Power a 120V device when the temp exceeds a set value (cooling mode - temp gets to 80 degrees, then is starts cooling down)
--Power a 120V device when the temp drops below a set value (heating mode - temp gets below 60 degrees, then it starts heating up)

So far, my wiring is as such (recognizing I am trying to get both of the above running, but have stopped at this juncture):

1 - Neutral (white)
2- Hot (Black) wire in / Jumper out to 14
3 - <<empty>>
4 - <<empty>>
5 - <<empty>>
6 - <<empty>>
7 - <<empty>>
8 - <<empty>>
9 - Sensor - POSTIVE (yellow)
10 - Sensor - Negative (red)
11 - <<empty>>
12 - <<empty>>
13 - Neutral (Black) outbound to source
14 - Jumper (white) out to 2

I have the Hot (white) running directly to the source as well (by passing PID SYL-2362), along with the ground.

My first big questions are:

1)  What should the wiring configuration be for this set up?  
I am thinking that I should put a jumper from 1 to 13 based off of FIG 11 in the instructions, but don't want to fry my unit.
2)  What should my output mode be?  
I was thinking it would either be 4 (Relay J1 as alarm output; J2 as On/off control relay output; SSR output disabled) or 0 (Relay J1, J2 as alarm output, SSR output disabled).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Cheers!

James

Kkane

First of all, SYL-2362 has one SSR output and two relay outputs. To control one heater and one cooler at same time, you can wire your heater to J2 relay (main output), and wire your cooler to J1 relay (alarm output). Set OUTY (output mode) to 4 (ON/OFF mode). To turn on your cooler at 80, and turn on your heater at 60, you need to change your set temperature to 65, and Hy to 5. So you heater will be on when temperature is below 60 (65-5), and heater will be off when temperature is over 70 (65+5). Also, please change AH1=81 and AL1=80 as high temperature alarm.

You can also use mode 0. Then there will be no main output, and you need to set both AH1, AL1, AH2, AL2.

For wiring, assuming terminal 1 is neutral and terminal 2 is hot. Jump a cable from 1 to 4, and wire terminal 5 (neutral) to your cooler. Then other side of cooler goes to hot. Jump a cable from 4 to 13, and wire terminal 14 (neutral) to your heater. Then other side of heater goes to hot.

One more thing, please double check the power rating for your cooler and heater. The current rating for J1 and J2 relays is only 3A. If your heater and cooler have larger power rating, you cannot use this controller to drive them directly. You need to use an external relay to drive.

jpendegraft

Very helpful, thank you.

Just to confirm:

1 - Neutral (white) - IN / Jumper to 4
2 - Hot (black) - IN
3 - <<empty>>
4 - Jumper from 1 (white) / Jumper to 13 (white)
5 - Neutral (white) out to cooler
6 - <<empty>>
7 - <<empty>>
8 - <<empty>>
9 - Sensor - POSITIVE (yellow)
10 - Sensor - NEGATIVE (red)
11 - <<empty>>
12 - <<empty>>
13 - Jumper (white) from 4
14 - Neutral out to heater

Also - my cooler is 4.1A so I ordered an external relay for this.  Thanks for that observation.

Thanks again,

James

Kkane

Your wiring looks good.

jpendegraft

Thanks for the confirmation!

So, now with the incorporating the relay with the COOLER:

Coil = Hot IN
Coil = Neutral (from #5 above) out from controller
Com = Neutral IN
NC = <<empty>>
NO = Neutral OUT to Cooler

Does this look right?  Thanks for all of your support.

Kkane

Looks good. And another side of your cooler goes to hot.

One more thing, we usually suggest to switch hot wire in the relay, instead of neutral wire. The reason is, if you wire your cooler to the hot directly, it will be always hot even it doesn't turn on.

So the wiring:

Coil = Hot IN
Coil = Neutral (from #5 above) out from controller
Com = Hot OUT to Cooler
NC = <<empty>>
NO = Hot IN

Serviceaql

Ok, Im ready to move forward and I have some questions.  #1 Has anybody used Umai bags for soppressata within a curing chamber or should I just use regular casings?  #2 Best temperature and humidity for fermentation process?  #3 Best temperature and humidity for curing process?  #4  Best solution for dehumidifying?  #5 Best solution for heating?   Im going to order Auberin equipment Dual channel temperature and seperate dual channel humidity.  Coolling and humidifying is the easy part.  Ive seen people cut fans into the side for dehumidifying.  It makes no sense to me because you must be altering the temp a lot. Also, its only as good as the external humidity taking into the unit?  Correct me if Im wrong.  Thanks.  Lou