Updates:

Click here to visit our store! https://www.auberins.com

which controller to buy

Started by Hanic, October 30, 2012, 05:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hanic

Greetings All,
I'm just discovering Sous Vide and temperature controllers.  I plan to use my crock pot with an appropriate controller, and also set it up for use on my smoker with a fan. I'm favoring the dual probe controller so I can conrtoll the temperature and end the process when the time is up (Sous Vide) or the proper internal temperature is reached (smoking).  So, I want my controller to serve dual purpose, Sous Vide and smoker control.  It seems that programable (multi-step) unit woould work well.  My thought was to add an extra probe for grill or smoker use.  Thats when I noticed the difference in probe jacks on the back of the unit.  If I read the specs correctly, Type K thermocouples are the long, yellow plugs with blade shaped prongs, and RTD sensors are smaller round shaped with small pin connections.  It seems that Type K units are less accurate but more durable and come in a greater variety of configurations to satisfy a greater diversity of uses, vs RTD.  How accurate is type K, and is this good enough for Sous Vide?
 Thermo works has a larger variety of probes availble which look very robust with braided and armored leads between probe and plug.  Most of the Auber units have exposed wiring at the plug end which seem delicate.  Can anyone help me understand the diffferences here and perhaps share some expieriences on efforts to dual purpose one of these controllers.   Thanks in advance for any and all help, Hanic

colnny

The RTD probe is very reliable. It's good for low temperature measurement. For sous vide, RTD probe is more accurate. The error can be within 1F. For K type thermocouple, the accuracy is up to 5F.

But the dual probe controller, the probe is not either thermocouple or RTD. It's 50K thermistor.

starrider

I have a small business in which I re-blue firearms.  My Iron tank is 40" long by 6" wide and 6" deep. I have a high density 1200 watt heating element at each end, 2 total. the bluing chemicals need to reach at least 290 degrees F. but no more than 325 I can't figure out which controller I need. I don't even know if I can get to that temp using a 120 volt system. I would like to so I don't have to put in a 220 circuit. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. :x [/i]

franky

to starrider: the best way to do is test you system without any controller. wire your heating element full power then you see your result. i guess you could reach your temp with 110v. The controller could only reduce your power of the heating element, to your desired tepm. no matter what you use, it can not increase your hating capacity.